15 August 2010

The Cemetery of Recoleta / El cementerio de la Recoleta

Today, because I didn't have anybody to go with me, I decided to fly solo and revisit the Cemetery of Recoleta. The cemetery, located in one of the city's ritziest districts, is one of the most visited tourist hotspots in Buenos Aires. Only the rich and famous can be buried there, and the impressive mausoleums draw quite a crowd. And a very international crowd at that. While in the cemetery, I was asked in 4 different languages where the tomb of Eva Perón is.

Today was my second visit to the cemetery. My first was a few weeks ago, but I didn't have my camera with me- and the Cemetery of Recoleta is definitely something worth photographing. So I decided to redo my visit. I set out, bought a chocolate bar and some Skittles from a kiosko to hold me over during the journey, and hit the subway. In order to get from my neighborhood to a subway stop near the cemetery, I had to take the A line to Lima, make a connection to the C, take the C to Diagonal Norte, make a connection to the D at Avenida de Julio, then take the D to Pueyrredón.

Once I got to Recoleta, I wandered around a little bit to check out the area. I found a beautiful statue in front of the Museum of Fine Arts of Buenos Aires. The statue's inscription reads "A homage from the French colony to the Argentine nation." It's super cool. I also came across a beautiful old church that's being renovated. It's unlike anything I've ever seen before- the perfect mix of storybook and spooky. Then I hit the cemetery.

After the cemetery, I decided to walk off that chocolate bar and go home on foot. On the way, I stopped at the Kentucky Pizzería (don't ask me why Kentucky), one of my favorite spots to get lunch. They have an awesome special: 2 slices of mozzarella pizza, 1 faina, and a glass of pop for 9 pesos. That's about $2.25 USD. The only condition: for that special, you have to eat standing at the bar. If you want to sit down, you have to order off a different menu where the prices are a few pesos higher.

Well, that's the end of my adventure for this week. Here is the link for the pictures I took at the cemetery. They're on Facebook, but this link should allow even those that don't have Facebook to see the pictures.

View pictures


Hoy, ya que no tenía quien me acompañara, decidí ir solito y revisitar el cementerio de la Recoleta. El cementerio, ubicado en uno de los distritos más chetos de la ciudad, es uno de los lugares turísticos más populares de Buenos Aires. Sólo los ricos y famosos pueden sepultarse allá y los impresionantes mauseleos atraen a grandes multitudes. Y multitudes muy internacionales además. Mientras estuve en el cementerio, me preguntaron en cuatro diferentes idiomas dónde estaba la tumba de Eva Perón.

Hoy fue mi segunda visita al cementerio. Mi primera visita fue hace unas semanas, pero tenía la cámara a mano- y el cementerio de la Recoleta merece sin duda ser fotografiado. Por eso decidí revisitarlo. Salí, me compré una barra de chocolate y unos Skittles en un kiosko para sostenerme durante el viaje, y tomé el subte. Para ir desde mi barrio a un lado cerca del cementerio, había que tomar la línea A hasta Lima, hacer una conexión a la línea C, tomar la C hasta Diagonal Norte, luego hacer una conexión a la línea D a Avenida de Julio, y luego tomar la D hasta Pueyrredón.

Una vez que llegué en Recoleta, deambulé un poco para ver el área. Encontré una estátua bella en frente del Museo de Bellas Artes de Buenos Aires. La inscripción de la estátua reza "Hommage de la colonie francaise a la nation argentine." Es re zarpada. También me tropecé con una iglesia vieja y bella que está bajo renovación. Nunca vi cosa igual- la combinación perfecta de cuento de hadas y espeluznante. Luego me fui al cementerio.

Tras visitar el cementerio, decidí quemarme esa barra de chocolate caminando a casa. De camino, paré en la Kentucky Pizzería (no me preguntes sobre el nombre), uno de mis lugares favoritos para almorzar. Tienen una promoción que es lo más: 2 porciones de muzzarela, una faina y un vaso de gaseosa por 9 pesos. Son más o menos $2.25 USD. La única condición: para esa promoción, hay que comer a la barra. Si querés sentarte, tenés que pedir de otro menú donde todo cuesta unos pesos más.

Bueno, llegamos al fin de mi aventura de esta semana. Aquí tienen el enlace para ver las fotos que tomé en el cementerio. Están en Face, pero este enlace debería permitirles verlas aunque no tengan Face.


Ver las fotos

1 comment:

  1. David Shotwell17 August, 2010 21:56

    wow--I have yet to look at the pictures, but this sounds like such a cool place, not to mention a sweet little journey! For probably the 50th time I will tell you I am jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete