22 July 2010

I arrive... and then Bianca kidnaps me / Arribo... y luego Bianca me rapta

This morning the plane touched down and I stepped out on Argentine soil. I've arrived. Finally. In Buenos Aires. You guys have no idea how excited I was as I went through immigration control, customs, and finally baggage claim. Even though we had to wait a few hours for the other Flacsitos (students from the FLACSO program) to arrive, I didn't mind. In fact, I barely noticed the passing of the time.

As of yet I haven't met many other members from our group, since we arrived in Argentina at different times and as soon as they got to the hotel, everyone scattered to explore the city. However, to be completely honest, I don't care, because I already have a friend that lives here, knows the city, and can give me advice on how to survive the madness that is known as Buenos Aires. Today she and I took our first walk around the city, and naturally I brought my camera with me... something Bianca advised me not to do since it only intensifies the tourist impression that I already give off. But I couldn't help it- I wanted some pictures of the city. And now I'm proud to announce that I have some great pictures of Bianca and me in front of the obelisk and the great big Argentine flag downtown, right next to what is supposedly the widest street in the world (or in South America, we're not sure, and Bianca's not to be trusted hehehe).

Well, at 6:00, Bianca's coming to get me at the hotel again, and we're going to go exploring some more. Tonight at 8:30, all us Flacsitos are having a welcome dinner together to get to know each other better. I'm super excited.


Hoy por la mañana el avión se aterrizó y pisé la tierra argentina. Llegué. Por fin. En Buenos Aires. No se imaginan la emoción que sentí al pasar por el control de la inmigración, por la aduana, y por último por la recogida de equipaje. Aunque tuvimos que esperar un par de horas a que llegaran los otros Flacsitos (estudiantes que forman parte del programa de FLACSO), no me importaba. De hecho, apenas me di cuenta del paso del tiempo.

Aún no he conocido a muchos otros integrantes de nuestro grupo, ya que llegamos en Argentina a diferentes horas y ni bien llegaron al hotel, todos se dispersaron para explorar la ciudad. Sin embargo, a decir verdad me da igual, porque ya tengo una amiga acá que conoce la ciudad y que puede darme consejos sobre cómo sobrevivir a esta locura que se llama Buenos Aires. Hoy damos ella y yo nuestro primer paseo por la ciudad, y claro que llevé mi cámara conmigo.... cosa que Bianca me avisó que no hiciera porque sólo intensifico la pinta de turista que tengo. Pero no pude resistir- quería unas fotos de la ciudad. Y ahora estoy orgulloso de anunciar que tengo unas fotos lindas de Bianca y yo en frente del obelisco y la gigantesca bandera argentina aquí en el centro, junto a la supuestamente más ancha carretera del mundo (o de Suramérica, no estamos seguros y Bianca no es de fiar jeje).

Bueno, a las 18 Bianca viene a buscarme en el hotel y vamos a salir y explorar más. Esta noche a las 20:30 todos los Flacsitos vamos a hacer una cena de bienvenida juntos para llegar a conocernos. Estoy re emocionado.

1 comment:

  1. David Shotwell24 July, 2010 20:55

    Yaaaaaay! This is sooo exciting and it's only your first day! I might have to get myself a plane ticket to a certain somewhere. hehe

    ReplyDelete