30 July 2010

Getting used to the city / Acostumbrándome a la ciudad

The past week has been pretty busy. Almost every day we have orientation sessions at FLACSO and we're already beginning to sign up for classes, which start next week. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. There are three different academic institutions that I'm enrolling in: the UBA (Universidad de Buenos Aires), one of the largest public universities in the world (and certainly the largest in South America) that has great prestige although it doesn't have the resources we Flacsitos are used to; the UCA (Universidad Católica Argentina), a private Catholic university that's quite a bit smaller than the UBA but that offers facilities that are both nicer and more like an American university would have; and FLACSO, the headquarters of my program.

I'm getting familiarized with the city and learning to get around among the crowds. The city still intimidates me a little, but I've learned to take taxis, the subway, and buses, which makes the experience of living here quite a bit easier. Since my neighborhood isn't located in the safest part of the city, shall we say, I've learned some safety measures to follow in order to avoid problems. Funny story: The other day, I was at my friend Bianca's and it was getting late, so she called me a taxi. She gave the cab driver the address I was headed to- 140 Jujuy Avenue. Well, it turns out that the cab driver misunderstood her and took me to 140 Junin. When we got there and I corrected him, he got a little bit mad, but then he took me to the 140 Jujuy. When we got there, he asked me if we were in the right place, where I wanted to get out, and I told him that it was, that I lived across the street. Then he told me, "Well, ok. Be careful when you get out, because here they'll steal everything you have." Obviously the situation wasn't super amusing at the time, but now it's funny.

Well, I'll keep you guys posted on how everything's going. Stay tuned for future updates!


La última semana ha sido bien ocupada. Casi todos los días tenemos sesiones de orientación en FLACSO y ya vamos inscribiéndonos en materias que comienzan la próxima semana. Estoy a la vez emocionado y ansioso. Hay tres diferentes unidades académicas en las que voy matriculándome: la UBA, una de las universidades públicas más grandes en todo el mundo (y seguro la más grande en Suramérica) que tiene mucho prestigio aunque no cuenta con los recursos a los que estamos acostumbrados nosotros los Flacsitos; la UCA, una universidad privada católica bien más pequeña pero que cuenta con instalaciones más lindas y más parecidas a las de las universidades americanas; y FLACSO, la oficina central de mi programa.

Ya ando familiarizándome con la ciudad y aprendiendo a manejarme entre las masas. La ciudad aún me atemoriza un poco, pero he aprendido a tomar los tachos, el subte y los colectivos, lo que facilita bastante la experiencia de vivir acá. Ya que mi barrio no está ubicado en la parte más segura de la ciudad digamos, he aprendido unas medidas de seguridad que seguir para evitar problemas. Una anécdota graciosa: El otro día, estaba donde mi amiga Bianca y se hacía tarde, así que ella me llamó un tacho. Le dio al tachero la dirección adonde iba: 140 Avenida Jujuy. Bueno... resulta que el tacho la entendió mal y me llevó a 140 Junin. Cuando lo corregí le dio un poco de bronca, pero igual me llevó a Jujuy. Cuando llegamos, me preguntó si ese era el lugar donde quería bajar y le dije que sí, que vivía en frente. Entonces me dijo "Bueno, cuidado cuando bajás, eh? Porque acá te van a robar todo." Claro que la situación no me pareció graciosa en ese momento, pero ahora sí.

Bueno, los mantengo al día con cómo me va todo. Manténganse al corriente de futuras actualizaciones.

1 comment:

  1. David Shotwell03 August, 2010 08:25

    Ahahahahaha that is an awesome story :D ...it brightened my dismal and rainy morning :)

    ReplyDelete