30 September 2010

A chat with Neri / Una charla con Neri

On Thursdays I have my volunteer work. Today, I got on the bus a little earlier than usual because I wanted to talk to Bernardo, the head of the community center, about the possibility of taking pictures of the kids today. Well, for some reason, the trip took much less time than normal and I arrived almost an entire hour early. The community center wasn't even open when I got there, so not knowing what to do, I walked around the block a few times, enjoying the beautiful weather.

I eventually decided to sit down a while and write, since there was nothing else to do and I felt weird doing laps like I was lost. Going to the community center is always complicated- sometimes it takes 45 minutes to get there, sometimes a good hour and a half. And there's no way to know. So sometimes I get there early, sometimes late. Good thing the barrio is pretty safe (at least during the day) and it doesn't matter if I show up a few minutes late sometimes (this is Argentina, after all.)

Anyways, as I was waiting for the community center to open, a toothless man came up to me. At first, I was nervous because he looked homeless and I didn't know what he wanted. He asked me if I knew where Laura was. I told him that I didn't, because I wasn't from around there. And, well, the guy just sad down and started talking to me. He introduced himself as Neri. He offered me a cigarette, and when I told him no thanks, he offered me a cough drop instead. Something in me said "don't take candy from strangers," but it was wrapped and Neri seemed pretty harmless.

He told me that he was an alcoholic, that he was 30 some years old, and that he lived in the house next door with his mom. He asked me if I was a teacher at the community center and I told him yeah, something like that. He told me that as a kid, he too had gone to the community center to get help with his homework, but it hadn't helped much because school was always hard for him and he always got bad grades. He said he was embarrassed to tell me that he'd ended up being a plumber with problems with alcohol. He defended himself, explaining that deep down he was a good person, but that he had his vices and weaknesses. I told him we all do.

Then he changed the subject, asking if I'd heard about an American actor that had just died. His last name was Cartis, Curtis, Cortis- he couldn't quite remember the name, but he was sure the news anchors were pronuncing it wrong because they were Argentines trying to pronounce a name in English. I just laughed. He then asked me how his name would be in English- Neri. He asked me if it's hard learning English and I told him that it depends- sometimes, but not for me. He laughed and said that sometimes even Spanish was hard for him.

Neri asked me where I was from, and when I told him Indiana, he smiled big and said, "I know where that place is- near Illinois and Virginia, right?" I didn't have the heart to tell him that actually Virginia's pretty far. I just told him that it was around there, yeah. He'd at least been right about the Illinois part.

Well, it was there that my chat with Neri ended, because somebody showed up to open the community center. When I said goodbye to Neri, he hugged me and told me he thought it was great what I was doing for the kids in the community center. He was sure they appreciated it, he told me.

I went into the community center and asked if there was going to be class today, since I didn't see any of the teachers that are usually there. They said no, because there had been another teachers' strike. It didn't surprise me- clear evidence that my time in Argentina has changed me in some respects. Instead of getting mad that nobody bothered to let me know, so I wouldn't spend hours on the bus for no reason, I just told the man from the center thanks anyways, and I went to take the bus back home. On the bus, I started to think. Although by the time I got home, I'd have spent the better part of the afternoon traveling and waiting only to find out that there wasn't even class today, it wasn't a total waste. I'd had a nice chat with Neri.

God showed me, through that little chat, several things:
- that we all have our vices and it's absolutely essential that we not forget that when we interact with others
- that we should be thankful for the opportunities that we have, because each one of us is truly very blessed
- that you can't judge a book by it's cover
- that we can be a light at any time, in any place
- that even though things may not go the way we want, God always has a plan and has it all under control



Los jueves tengo mi voluntariado. Hoy subí al colectivo un poco más temprano de lo normal porque quería hablar con Bernardo, el jefe del centro comunitario, sobre la posibilidad de sacarles fotos a los nenes hoy. Bueno, por alguna razón, el colectivo me llevó muy rápido y llegué casi una hora entera temprano. El centro comunitario ni estaba abierto cuando llegué, así que, no sabiendo qué hacer, di unas cuantas vueltas por la cuadra, disfrutando del buen tiempo.

Por fin decidí sentarme un rato para escribir, ya que no había nada más que hacer y me sentía raro dando vueltas como si estuviera perdido. Ir al centro comunitario es siempre complicado- a veces llegar me lleva 45 minutos, a veces una hora y media. Y no hay manera de predecirlo. Así que, bueno, a veces llego temprano y a veces tarde. Menos mal que el barrio es bastante seguro (por lo menos de día) y que no les molesta si llego unos minutos tarde (es Argentina, a final de cuentas).

Bueno, mientras esperaba a que abriera el centro comunitario, se me acercó un hombre desdentado. Al principio, me puse un poco nervioso por su apariencia de vagabundo y porque no sabía qué quería. Me preguntó si sabía donde estaba Laura. Le dije que no, que no era de por allá. Y bueno, el tipo se sentó y se puso a hablarme. Se presentó- se llamaba Neri. Me ofreció un pucho, y cuando le dije que no gracias, me ofreció un caramelo. Algo en mí me dijo "no tomes caramelos de extraños," pero estaba envuelto y Neri no me parecía peligroso.

Me contó que era alcohólico, que tenía 30 y pico años y que vivía en la casa de al lado con su mamá. Me preguntó si yo era profesor del centro comunitario y le dije que algo así. Me contó que de niño, él también acudía ahí para que lo ayudaran con su tarea, pero que mucho no le ayudó porque las materias siempre le resultaron difíciles y siempre sacó malas notas. Me dijo que le daba mucha vergüenza el hecho de que terminara siendo un plomero con problemas con el alcohol. Se defendió explicándome que en el fondo era una buena persona, pero que tenía sus vicios y debilidades. Le dije que quién no.

Luego cambió de tema, preguntándome si había escuchado que se murió un actor estadounidense con el apellido Cartis, Curtis, Cortis- no se acordaba bien de cómo era, pero estaba seguro de que los noticieros lo pronunciaban mal porque son argentinos y trataban de decir un nombre inglés. Me reí. Luego me preguntó cómo sería su nombre en inglés- Neri. Me preguntó si es "jodido" aprender inglés y le dije que depende- a veces sí, pero para mí no. Él se rió y me dijo que a veces le costaba incluso el castellano.

Me preguntó de dónde yo era, y cuando le dije que era de Indiana, sonrió grande y me dijo, "Ah, ese lugar sí que lo conozco- cerca de Illinois y Virginia, no?" No tuve corazón para decirle que en realidad Virginia está bien lejos. Sólo le respondé que sí, por allí. En la parte de Illinois había acertado por lo menos.

Bueno, fue entonces que terminó mi charla con Neri, porque llegó alguien para abrir el centro comunitario. Cuando me despedía de Neri, me abrazó y me dijo que le parecía muy lindo lo que yo hacía por los nenes en el centro comunitario y que seguro que lo apreciaban.

Ingresé en el centro comunitario y les pregunté si había clases hoy, ya que no vi ninguno de los profesores de costumbre. Me dijeron que no, que otra vez hubo un paro de docentes. Y no me sorprendí- evidencia clara de que mi tiempo en Argentina ya me ha cambiado en algunos respectos. En vez de enojarme de que nadie se tomara la molestia de avisarme para que no pasara horas en el bondi sin necesidad, le dije al tipo de centro que gracias igual y me fui a tomar el colectivo para volver a casa. En el bondi, me puse a pensar. Aunque para cuando llegara a casa habría pasado la gran parte de la tarde viajando y esperando, sólo para enterarme de que ni había clases hoy, no fue una pérdida total. Tuve una linda charla con Neri.

Dios me mostró, a través de esa charla, varias cosas:
- que todos tenemos nuestros vicios y es preciso que nunca nos olvidemos de eso cuando interactuemos con los demás
- que debemos agradecer las oportunidades que tenemos, porque cada uno de nosotros realmente es muy afortunado
- que caras vemos, corazones no sabemos
- que podemos ser una luz en cualquier momento, en cualquier lugar
- que aunque las cosas no salgan cómo queremos nosotros, Dios siempre tiene un plan y lo tiene todo bajo control

1 comment:

  1. Wow--that's sweet.

    I love reading your posts and hearing your thoughts. :) I never know what you're going to write about and it always makes me smile. I know I don't usually think about these things and it's refreshing to hear what God showed you.

    ReplyDelete